Tuesday, March 24, 2009

So long...

Well, it's almost been a month since my last post. Man, time flies when you are having fun. Since posting on Feb. 26th I have turned a page in my job search. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm still working the network, following leads and talking to folks from Oregon to Texas to Indiana. My attitude has shifted towards embracing the "now" instead of focusing so much on the "later". Yes, I want to be a part of an organization and work. Yes, I want to get back to advancing my career. But...YES, I want to take in the opportunity I have been given to sharpen my skills, enjoy my kids and dabble in some areas I haven't had the time to dabble in.

The time with my kids has been priceless and I enjoy that each day. I have also had the opportunity to volunteer my time helping others with odd jobs and focusing on what will continue to make me successful. When unfortunate things happen every person gets the cerimonious pat on the back and the overused phrase, "everything is going to be alright". I think everyone uses it because it's true...but only to a small degree. The better phrase is "well now you can focus on what you really want to do". For those of you who have uttered that phrase to me, thank you. For the one guy who threw it in my face, screw you. As with anything, it's all about the delivery and the sincerity in the message. My point is, there's only a small number of folks I directly know that have been in the same position I'm in and it's hard for them to relate to my state of mind. I'm in a good place right now, of course I would like to be in a better place, employed, working diligently for a company. Time will present that opportunity and until then, I live in the "now" working the phone, dropping off coffee to say hi, and being more than ready for the next opportunity.

A little follow-up from the last 27 days:
  • I have been called for 6 interviews
  • Have had 2 follow-up interviews
  • Asked and received 2 informational interviews
  • Had 0 job offers

Yeah, the most important number is the only one that really matters, but my progress has been adequate considering the declining economy and job market in the state of Oregon.

I'll be posting more frequently, so if I've lost you due to lack of info, come back from time to time and don't forget to tell your friends and colleagues about http://www.joshuatcox.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment